What is the K53 Drivers License Test?
The K53 Driver Licence Test
K53 is the term for the current driver licence test in South Africa.
- The number “K53” given to the test was based on proposals submitted in the 1980’s and then the reworked versions were upgraded numerically.
- Test number K53 was finally accepted as the way to test aspirant drivers.
- This test fully involved/included/incorporated the System of Vehicle control.
- The K53 test is, in fact, a copy of what was done in the UK in the 1980’s.
The K53 driving licence test
Light and heavy motor vehicles and motorcycle
Purpose and conditions
This practical driving test evaluates the skills of aspiring motorcycle riders and drivers of motor vehicles.
The ability of a driver is assessed during the driving test in:
- handling the vehicle
- obedience to traffic rules
- road signs
- traffic signals and surface markings
- correct application of the K53 defensive driving system through all
- aspects of the test
- coping with traffic problems in practical driving situations
- You may not do the driving test in a light motor vehicle that is less than 3 m in length.
Smoking and using mobile devices are prohibited while taking the test.
What the test covers
Light and heavy motor vehicle test:
- A pre-trip inspection of the vehicle’s roadworthiness.
- A yard test of your basic manoeuvring skills, away from traffic:
starting the engine;
- moving off;
- turning around in the road: ‘three-point-turn’ (light vehicles only);
- alley docking: reversing into an alley, and driving out again;
- parallel parking (light vehicles only);
- stopping and moving off on an incline;
- left turn (light vehicles if towing a trailer, and heavy vehicles); and
- reversing in a straight line (light vehicles if towing a trailer, and heavy vehicles).
a driving test carried out on busy public highways, if possible includes the following scenarios:
- obeying traffic signals;
- changing lanes;
- speed control;
- turning left and right at intersections;
- proceeding through an intersection;
- uncontrolled intersections;
- obeying yield signs and traffic lights;
- stopping in traffic;
- stopping at a stop sign;
- a traffic circle;
- a railway level crossing;
- a pedestrian crossing;
- entering a freeway;
- leaving a freeway;
- passing a freeway off-ramp and on-ramp;
- overtaking on a freeway; and
- an emergency stop.
Our instructors are patient, professional, motivating and will help to build your confidence, so we will take care of you every step of the way. Read more about what our customer’s testimonials have to say about or drivers license and learners license services.
084 646 9031 - Mike
074 148 6288 - Kenny
011 900 7005 - Office
Mon to Fri 8 to 4:30pm